Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Model 19 covers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member frankiedr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good day Altec users. I am a new owner of a pair of Altec Model 19's and am seeking some help. I am in desperate need of locating a sorce for replacement covers for them. Unfortunately, they were missing from the speakers when I purchased them. To make matters worse, the framework for the covers was also MIA. Now, I have not laid eyes on 19's since about 1978, when I first heard them, however, I think I remember that they had a two-piece cover(one for the horn and a separate one for the LF section). I also believe that it was some sort of fabric stretched over a wooden framework. I will greatly appreciate any help that you might provide me with.

    Thank you in advance.

    Frank

  2. #2
    Inactive Member sburke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2003
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Frank,

    You are correct on both counts. One cover for the horn, one for the LF driver. 1 X 2 fir strips would work fine to create a new frame. Any lightweight grill cover material should work fine to cover the frame. Personally, I prefer to leave the covers off of my model 19's!

    Steve

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Iconic Mfg. Co's cabinetmaker has the full set of drawings and can make you a complete set of grille frames, covered in the color of your choice, and the small mounting posts, as well.

    I may even be able to locate a pair of mint condition Altec logo's, but they won't be the round ones like the originals. forums

    Let me know if I can be of service to you.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd,

    Do you have a source for the "original" grill fabric that was used on the Model 19's. I have both Model 14's & 19's, and the cloth is a little ragged in places. I like the original cloth because it is so transparent. You can see the drivers and crossover controls thru it! I don't think I've seen a more transparent cloth.

    Richard C.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    You know, I remember that feature - but I can't say whether or not the standard grille cloth we get is like that or not. I've never thought to look, but I will....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.